Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Summer...go!

Sometimes I don't know what I'm thinking! About a month ago, realizing that our trampoline either needed a new tarp or be scrapped, I had the "brilliant" idea to ask the girls if they'd rather have a pool or a trampoline. (Seriously, what would any child choose?) Somehow, we passed the idea by dad and as we lugged the box out of Walmart, I had the biggest dose of pool regret ever. Then, spending an entire Saturday leveling ground and setting up, the knot in my stomach gets bigger...what was I thinking? It was priceless to see everyone pulling their part during set up, picking up rocks, moving dirt and stomping the ground. Madi did more dirt removal and Breanne more "hospitality" keeping the workers hydrated and fueled. A day or two after set up, filled with ice-cold water, Derrick dares Madison to go in the pool. He was kidding, but before he knew it, she came out with her swim suit on. "Numbingly cold," was her comment. Now, as I watch the girls in the pool, enjoying each other, and listen to them thank God for pools, the regret fades.
 Last week, we spent an afternoon at the Children's Museum in St. Paul. The girls had a blast and gave it a thumbs up, however, Aliya and Breanne think "grandma's children's museum" is better (Brookings, SD).
 After the museum, we met up with Derrick, Bryce and Kayla to explore the Minnehaha Falls Park in Minneapolis. A unique park nestled along the Minnehaha Creek and Mississippi River.
 It was a great adventure and wonderful way to officially begin summer vacation.
The gardening is going well so far this summer. Madison's cabbage plant is HUGE! Seems the cooler weather is conducive to growing cabbage. In the background, you can see the first two blossoms on the potato plants. 
Last Saturday, we went camping with the mosquitoes. They were awful...the best options were sitting in the campfire smoke or tent. However, the girls had a blast biking, learning how to build a campfire, sleeping in the tent, making breakfast for us.

1 comment:

Sechler Kids said...

Awesome start to your summer Auntie Becky we love are pool to.We also have lots no TONS OF MOSQUTIOS!!!!!!!


Bekah+Siblings