Thursday, May 6, 2010

Spring? Musings of a silly girl

I double-checked the calendar this morning. It is really May 6th as far as I can tell. Funny thing is I told a friend earlier this spring that I'd love to take pictures of my tulips in the snow. I didn't think I'd get that wish this year, but... I'll be more careful with my wishes next time, promise!
Now, onto more serious topics than the weather. There's a constant tune being whistled in our house. Breanne outperforms both her parents in whistling. (She's quite proud of this!) The past couple weeks, Breanne has made me chuckle more than a dozen times... As she was eating some lifesavers, she says, "Mom, this is just healthy candy. Because it's watermelon, raspberry, cherry, and oranges." Well, maybe. But how can I contradict that reasoning? She also loves to say, "This is just going to be a disaster..." to explain a less than ideal situation. Where does she get this stuff from? And, after being told to do something or asked a question, she might say, "Well, (takes a deep breath/sigh) you see..." while she goes on to reason. This morning she told me, "Mom, Aliya really liked me yesterday." Good to know that card is no good today. And last but not least, "Mom, Natalie told me she wants to have me, Kelcey and Gracie over for a sleepover." I said that we'd need to talk to Natalie's mom about that. "Well, it was Natalie's choice." I'm sure that's all that matters.
Breanne has also met a pre-kindergarten milestones. She tied her shoes for the first time yesterday. She put on Madison's shoe actually and next thing I know she says, "Did I just tie my shoe?" She sure did. Today she realized she could also tie her own shoe. Next she says she's going to practice tying Aliya's shoes.
Two weeks from today, Derrick and I will be on a plane to Ethiopia! Although we're both excited, it doesn't even seem real to me yet. Seriously, another country? Across the globe? I haven't even been to Canada or Mexico. Well, if you're gonna go, you might as well go big, right? I've begun the "book" of instructions for the grandmas who are staying with the girls. Sorry, not to frighten you, I just want you to be equipped since we WON'T be just a call away.
I have to address those of you who have been praying for our preparations and those of you who have been able to support us financially. Thank you! I can't begin to explain how humbled Derrick and I are when each check comes in. And your notes and prayers sent as well. We are so blessed! I personally prayed in January that if God wanted me to go on this trip, He would open wide the doors and if He didn't have this trip in His plan for me, that He would close tight the doors. In every circumstance (from childcare, team bonding, airfaire, finances, immunizations...) He has flung the doors open! Thanks so much for your prayers and support. I am in prayer for the relationships God wants me to build in Ethiopia. I don't know what they will be, what it will feel like, look like. I am clueless. I have no power in this situation; nor do I know what to do; "but my eyes are upon You (God)." (2 Chor. 20:12) May whatever happens, may it all be done to the glory of God. (1 Cor 10:31)

2 comments:

Littlemas2 said...

We will be praying for you now, and when you are in Ethiopia.

Landa said...

I LOVE the pictures of your flowers in the snow! You have a great talent!