Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Pumpkin Pie

"That girl's been asking for pumpkin pie all month," Derrick notices Aliya's repeated request. When my sidekick noticed the pumpkins at the grocery store this past week, I couldn't resist her much longer. (However, now I seriously question my sanity...why not just talk her into buying the canned pumpkin?)  But an almost 4-year old doesn't comprehend that a pumpkin in itself is not miraculously turned into a pie by a wave of momma's wand. So, we bought the whole pumpkin and on Friday, the day had finally arrived to excitedly, "Make the pumpkin pie!"


As we cleaned and then began cutting the pumpkin, she thought the pumpkin could also dub as a wig if we placed it on her head. I couldn't convince to try the wig on, even for a quick picture. 
Then, while the pumpkin baked in the oven, we started on the pie crust. This momma isn't the best pie crust maker...I convinced her that we needed to call in Grandma Barb next time, who is the best pie maker ever! (Take note grandma!) The pie turned out WONDERFUL. Best I've ever tasted. I guess momma and Aliya are a good team.
After Aliya retired to a nap, it was finally time for momma to play with her new toy! I don't know that it's normal to be so excited when purchasing a 50 pound bag of wheat berries.
 
But I was. In no time at all, I had my fresh wheat flour ready for baking...but what? Well, we started with whole wheat waffles. Received pretty well by my white bread family. Started some Artisan Bread souring in the fridge to bake tomorrow. Then Breanne was my partner in crime to tackled whole wheat pizza crusts. Terrific! Yumminess...come visit me to get some!

No comments: