Behind a plate of waffles, Aliya holds her pencil and reads from her workbook. "God promises forgiveness and life forever with Him to everyone who asks Him and believes in Jesus."In the depths of her bright mind, she says something like, "So people will die if they don't believe in Jesus." I love to challenge the articulation of my own theology, so I process out-loud (hopefully accurately), "Well, I understand that we'll all live forever. If we've asked Jesus to be the boss of our life, we'll live forever in heaven. But if someone choose to not make Jesus the boss and be their own boss, then they live forever in hell. I can't imagine how horrible that would be." As visions of heat, flames and darkness overwhelm me, she says, "Yeah, and they don't even get breakfast!" My mind's eye
jolts to burnt toast, Captain Crunch and the Newsboys. "Is that true?" This my dear is where my theology is uncertain.
No comments:
Post a Comment