I don't usually post recipes on my blog, but my mom asked for this recipe and after I made it yesterday for the second time, Derrick told me (twice) that I could make those scones any time I'd like, I figured it might be worth passing along. I made them for the first time on my birthday (a treat to me) just as the recipe reads. Yesterday, I made them with fresh blueberries in place of the cranberries. Also, you might note that they taste best right out of the oven. I share them with friends but if you have extras, the best way to reheat them is in the oven so they regain some of the flaky texture. Happy baking!
Cream Scones
½ c. heavy cream, plus extra for brushing the scones before baking
1 egg
1 t. lemon extract
3 T. sugar, plus extra for sprinkling on scones
2 ¼ c. flour
½ t. salt
1 T. baking powder
6 T. cold butter, cut into bits
½ c. dried cranberries
Preheat oven to 400.
In a bowl whisk together cream, egg, lemon and sugar until well combined.
In another bowl stir together flour, salt and baking powder; blend in the butter wih your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
Stir in the cranberries and the cream mixture with a fork until the mixture just forms a sticky but manageable dough.
Knead the dough gently on a lightly floured surface for 30 seconds, pat it into a ½-inch-thick rectangle. Cut into 4 rectangles and then cut each rectangle diagonally (making 8 triangles). Place on ungreased baking sheet. Brush with cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake the scones in the middle of the oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden.
No comments:
Post a Comment