Sunday, August 22, 2010

..take me away..

Remember that old Dixie Chicks song, "Cowboy take me away..." It was popular when Derrick and I got engaged. I remember daydreaming, thinking about camping with Derrick, laying under the stars... (I'll stop there.) Well, that song came to mind (except for the "cowboy" part) this weekend as Derrick and I headed out to East Rosebud to go backpacking together...just the two of us.
We were blessed again by our friends the Ottenbachers who agreed to have three extra kiddos this weekend so Derrick and I could celebrate nine years of marriage by backpacking together.
With my brother-in-law in mind, I "purposely" left my camera home. (I didn't want to make you stumble Mike. That or I didn't want to carry an extra 4.5 pounds on my back.) We hiked in 7-miles and saw four mountain lakes, each one further in more breath-taking than the one before. The last two mountain lakes had a bright, blue-green tint to the water. The waterfalls were spectacular as we hiked along the East Rosebud Creek and through the canyon.
This was my first backpacking experience and I enjoyed it. Derrick coined me, "The Master Trout Slayer," for catching three good looking trout. I'm sure I looked like a kid at Christmas reeling in those strong rainbow trout. My favorite thing was the peacefulness and tranquility sitting by the lake or at our campsite. (Derrick thought it might be him "cooking" for me...dinner and breakfast!)
Just two more days until Madison and Breanne start school. They are packed and ready. Pictures to follow..

2 comments:

Littlemas2 said...

Well Becky, I am responding to this as I sit in the beautiful Black Hills. Yesterday we hiked five miles with the kids in an area I had never seen before. So I have at least gotten some of my western/ mountain fix in for this year. :)

Becky DeWilde said...

Awesome! I'm so glad your family got to get away and enjoy a little mountain life!